Thursday, June 14, 2007

Monster Case:Intro

Taking a page out of the books (technomicons?) of Jake of All Trades, Brass Goggles, and Datamancer, I decided to convert my computer case to a steampunk monster. This case is no shiner, btw. It started its life as an HP pavilion back around 2000. Only the Mobo remembers that time, but it's still far from the l337 b0>< most modders build on.
The whole reason for the build actually came up because my video card, a G-Force 6600, isn't getting enough airflow. The nVidia guys were nice enough to put a heat sensor in there and, yeah, it's pretty toasty. Not enough space for the fan to do its job, and just one little rear fan chugging away at creating airflow.
The processor was running hot too, so what the heck. More shiny silver lubricant for it, a new blowhole in the top, and an extra 80mm fan in the front. And as long as I'm working on it, why not make it look pretty.
So here's my supply list so far:
1/32" Aluminium scraps - one 2'X4' piece and a lot of scraps.
all the 4" aluminium ductwork I could want.
1 sheet copper - about 2' X 4'.
1 busted antique brass clock, all parts still inside (rattle-rattle).
1 fake-silver Victorian candlabra
1 fake-silver Victorian scale
1 temp / air pressure gauge
1 air-hockey fan (see next post)
2 cold-red cathode tubes
2 cedar 2X4's (maybe... still need permission for these)
other wood blocks of various sizes
all the bolts, bits, and iron or copper pipes I could want.

Quite an exciting pile of junk. Pics will be posted as I build it.

No comments: